Neck Pain Relief with our Chiropractor in Vienna, VA
Every day our Vienna, VA chiropractor, Dr. Lemuel, offers pharma-free solutions for neck pain and related symptoms in men, women, and children. At Pure Chiropractic, we pledge to get to the root of symptoms and address underlying causes to the fullest extent possible so patient outcomes are more complete and long-lasting.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
Episodes of neck pain can be short-lived or chronic. Neck pain is often caused by conditions like osteoarthritis, cervical stenosis, whiplash, muscle strains, acute joint locking, subluxation, disc disease, disc bulge, or disc herniations. Why would such a condition occur? Common risk factors include:
- Poor posture: think of how you sit when you're looking at your phone or typing on your computer. This flexed forward posture can lead to strain and tissue damage over time—so much so that it's earned its own dubious moniker in the literature: tech neck.
- Repetitive overhead motion
- Heavy lifting (e.g., people with physically laborious jobs, weightlifters, etc.)
- Advancing age
- Acute episodes of trauma: whiplash, muscle strains, and other injuries often occur in an auto accident, sports accident, or personal injuries like a slip and fall
Even psychological stress can exacerbate or contribute to pain in the neck and shoulder region. Likewise, a prior history of neck pain or injury may increase your risk of recurring pain in the future—a factor which can be mitigated through early chiropractic intervention!
Symptoms of Neck Pain
Neck pain is often dull, tender, and achy. There may be a sharp pain with certain movements or at end ranges of motion. Range of motion itself may be limited in the cervical spine, and pain may also occur in the head, jaw, or shoulders. If nerve compression is involved, numbness, tingling, and/or weakness can develop in one or both arms.
Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain
Dr. Lemuel frequently employs the following neck pain treatment techniques, which are modified to meet the individualized needs of the patient:
- Spinal adjustments jumpstart the healing process by realigning cervical bones, relieving strain on nerves and muscles, and improving the ability of your nervous system to guide healing processes
- Corrective exercises can be prescribed which foster tissue healing, reduced inflammation, pain relief, and improved postural endurance and balance
- Lifestyle counseling may be provided to help the patient become aware of ergonomic issues and postures exacerbating their pain